FIFA ORDERS SIERRA LEONE GOVERNMENT NOT TO INTERFERE IN FOOTBALL

According to media reports coming to Aipsafrica.com, FIFA has responded to the deepening rift in Sierra Leonean football.

The world’s football governing body has told the country’s sports ministry to abstain from taking decisions related to the timing of the Sierra Leone FA’s next ordinary congress.

It is reported that a congress should have taken place in July, but was postponed indefinitely by FIFA on the grounds of carrying out integrity checks on current and potential SLFA members.

Last week, the ministry gave the SLFA until 14 August to hold a congress to pave the way for elections.

This comes after the mandate of the current SLFA administration, led by Isha Johansen, came to an end on August 03.

“It does not reflect the agreed road map which was initiated in order to address the conflicts and problems in Sierra Leone football,” FIFA said in a statement.

Meanwhile, FIFA has warned the ministry that the SLFA should manage its affairs independently and asked the sports Minister, Ahmed Khanou to abstain from taking any decisions contrary to this established process.

On the other hand, FIFA’s task team is set to meet in mid-September to address the issues and is willing to work with the Sierra Leone government, the SLFA and all stakeholders to bring stability to football in Sierra Leone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *