FRANKFURT, July 03, 2018 – It is confirmed: Germany will stick with Joachim Low as national coach despite the World Cup holders’ embarrassing group stage exit from the finals in Russia.
The German DFB has published an official statement explaining that Low will continue in his post as personal conversations with president Reinhard Grindel and national team director Oliver Bierhoff in Frankfurt.
After the awful 2-0 defeat against South Korea Low, 58, said he needed time to analyse his personal situation and his future in charge of the German national team. The German media speculated that he would bring a premature end to his contract which expires in 2022 but not so.
Grindel remained fully supportive saying, according to the DFB: “We had a very open and honest exchange, in which we addressed many points. We are firmly convinced that in Jogi Low we have a national coach who will analyse very carefully, take the right steps and lead our team back on the road of success.“
Low said: “I am very grateful to still maintain the confidence of DFB. I agree with the criticism after failing to qualify for the next round at the World Cup in Russia, but I want to bring Germany back to success.“
Hours before the official statement the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung claimed that the German players blamed Low and Bierhoff as culprits for the disaster in Russia.
It that the German squad had been split between the older and younger players. They blamed Low and Bierhoff for being too complacent over obvious problems after the victory in the Confederation Cup in Russia this time last year.
The inclusion of Manuel Neuer as No1 goalkeeper, even though he had been out injured almost all season, also caused a stir among some of the players, according to FAZ. sources.