Ghana stripped of hosting rights for 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations

By Owolabi Abiola/First Zeal Media

• CAF seeking new hosts for 2018 AWCON after dumping Ghana
• Kenya reject chance to host 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations

With just three months before the start of the competition CAF has been left unimpressed with the progress work at venues for the competition which led to the decision to axe Ghana.
CAF Presdient Ahmad Ahmad has revealed that they are talking to some countries to take over as hosts of the two-week competition.

A new host will be announced next month during the CAF Extraordinary General Assembly in Egypt.
Africa’s governing body CAF took the decision after the country’s disastrous preparation for the competition left the the Egypt-based body with no option.

The eight-team tournament is scheduled to take place between 17 November to 1 December 2018 but the dodgy pace of preparation look to have led to the decision.

A high powered government delegation led by the Sports Minister Isaac Asiamah visited CAF President in Madagascar two weeks ago in a bid to assuage the fear of the governing body but it looks the meeting made no impact.

A Caf inspection team visited Ghana last month and found that one of the two venues (Cape Coast and Accra) penciled to host the event – is not ready to stage the event.

Construction work at the Accra Sports Stadium won’t be completed before the competition starts while the confidence in the other parts of the Cape Coast Stadium is not up to scratch.

A decision by the Local Organising Committee (LOC) to move the tournament to Cape Coast or Kumasi and Tamale was also rejected which led to the CAF decision to look elsewhere.

“We are engaging several countries and should be able to announce a host during the CAF Extraordinary General Assembly in Egypt next month,” CAF Ahmad said on Sunday.

The decision to take the competition away from the the West African country is a massive blow to the Ministry of Youth and Sports who went bent on hosting despite initial doubts.
It is also a disastrous blow for the ruling NPP government as the opposition NDC are bound to take advantage of the situation to drive home the point that government botched preparations.

Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Algeria, South Africa, Zambia, Mali and Nigeria have already qualified for the tournament, and will be joined by the hosts.

The latest development indicates that Ghana football is not out of the woods yet after a recent reprieve by FIFA to prevent the country from being banned from international football
Ghana football has been in turmoil since the FA president Kwesi Nyantakyi resigned over damning corruption allegations against him.

The government had been trying to dissolve the FA through the courts but FIFA has given them up-to 27 August to stop the proceedings or they face a ban.

***

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) is looking for new hosts for the 2018 African Women Cup of Nations (AWCON) after stripping Ghana of the hosting rights.

CAF President Ahmad Ahmad has revealed that they are talking to some countries to take over as hosts of the two-week competition after the highly expected decision to dump Ghana.

A new host will be announced next month during the CAF Extraordinary General Assembly in Egypt.
Africa’s governing body CAF took the decision after Ghana’s disastrous preparation for the competition left the the Egypt-based body with no option.

The eight-team tournament is scheduled to take place between 17 November to 1 December 2018 but the dodgy pace of preparation look to have led to the decision.

With just three months left for the start of the tournament and the unimpressive progress of work, Ahmad says they are looking for new hosts of the competition.
“We are engaging several countries and should be able to announce a host during the CAF Extraordinary General Assembly in Egypt next month,” Ahmad told KweséESPN.

***

Kenya have turned down the chance to host the 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations, the President of FKF Nick Mwendwa has revealed.

The East African country wrote to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) on Saturday to withdraw their interest in taking over from Ghana as hosts.

CAF has confirmed receiving Kenya’s letter announcing its inability to host the tournament and will be looking elsewhere for the new hosts.

Ghana have been stripped of the right for hosting the competition and Kenya were tipped to take over following a public expression of interest from Mwendwa.

However, the FKF President Nick Mwendwa says they will not be ready to take over from Ghana as they have just one stadium in a good condition to take over.
“Kenya have withdrawn interest in hosting 2018 AWCON,” Mwendwa told KweséESPN on Sunday.
“We had expressed our interest in hosting the competition after learning that Ghana will not be able to host.
“Unfortunately, we seem to have only the Kasarani Stadium ready to host the competition, and yet two stadiums are required.
“We informed CAF on Saturday of the development and they also replied.”

The Nyayo Stadium, which is currently undergoing renovation, had been tipped as a potential host stadium, but the work will not be finished in time.

Despite Kenya’s withdrawal, CAF President Ahmad Ahmad remains confident that a new host will be announced in September

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *