MONACO, October 23, 2018 – This week marks the opening of the voting process for the 2018 World Athletes of the Year ahead of the IAAF Athletics Awards 2018 in Monaco on Tuesday 4 December.
The IAAF is pleased to confirm a list of 10 nominees for Male World Athlete of the Year who were selected by an international panel of athletics experts, comprising representatives from all six continental areas of the IAAF.
The nominees for 2018 Male World Athlete of the Year are:
Timothy Cheruiyot (KEN)
– World leads at both 1500m and one mile, with nine out of 11 wins across those distances
– Diamond League champion
– Silvers at the Commonwealth Games and African Championships
Christian Coleman (USA)
– World indoor record and world indoor champion at 60m
– World lead and Diamond League champion at 100m
Armand Duplantis (SWE)
– European champion at pole vault with a world-leading height
– World under-20 champion
– Eight world under-20 records or bests, indoors and out
Eliud Kipchoge (KEN)
– London Marathon champion
– Berlin Marathon champion with the biggest improvement on a men’s marathon world record since 1967
Emmanuel Korir (KEN)
– World lead and the world’s fastest at 800m since 2012
– Diamond League champion, Continental Cup winner and African Championships silver
– World number six at 400m
Noah Lyles (USA)
– World lead and unbeaten in his five races at 200m, including at the Diamond League final
– Continental Cup winner at 100m & 4x100m
– World lead at 150m straight
Luvo Manyonga (RSA)
– Diamond League and Commonwealth Games champion at long jump
– Silvers at World Indoor and African Championships
Kevin Mayer (FRA)
– World Indoor champion at heptathlon
– World record at decathlon, when he scored exactly the same number of points on each of the two days
Abderrahman Samba (QAT)
– World lead and unbeaten in nine finals at 400m hurdles, setting the world’s quickest time since 1992
– Asian Games champion at 400m hurdles and 4x400m relay
– Continental Cup winner
– Asian Indoor champion at 4x400m relay
Tomas Walsh (NZL)
– World lead with the world’s longest shot put since 2003
– World Indoor, Commonwealth Games and Diamond League champion
A three-way voting process will determine the finalists.
The IAAF Council and the IAAF Family will cast their votes by email, while fans can vote online via the IAAF’s social media platforms. Individual graphics for each nominee will be posted on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram this week; a ‘like’ on Facebook and Instagram or a retweet on Twitter will count as one vote.
The IAAF Council’s vote will count for 50% of the result, while the IAAF Family’s votes and the public votes will each count for 25% of the final result.
Voting for the Male World Athlete of the Year closes on 13 November. At the conclusion of the voting process, five men and five women finalists will be announced by the IAAF.
The male and female World Athletes of the Year will be announced live on stage at the IAAF Athletics Awards 2018.