LAUSANNE, August 23, 2019 – The clock is ticking. We are only 45 days away from October 7, the deadline for submitting your work for the AIPS Sport Media Awards. And we have decided to celebrate it with 45 things you must know about the Awards.
1) Submission is completely free. Just sign up at www.aipsawards.com and submit your work.
2) Everyone can send up to two submissions across all categories.
3) There is time to submit until October 7, 2019. All works need to have been published between September 18, 2018, and October 7, 2019.
4) Categories are divided between Writing, Photography, Audio, Video and the newly created Young Reporter Under 30.
5) Writing has two subcategories: Best Column and Best Colour Piece. Best Column: A piece that offers a considered and knowledgeable opinion, demonstrates relevance, authority, understanding of and insight into the issue and shows a flair for language. Opinion pieces, blogs, investigations and editorial articles fit in this category. Best Colour Piece: A story that demonstrates innovation, thinking, research and is well written with passion and flair, best capturing the emotion of an occasion in and around the sporting world: reportage, features, chronicles and interviews can fit in this category.
6) Photography has two subcategories: Action Picture (1 photo) and Portfolio (3, 4 or 5 photos). Action Picture: An image that depicts a moment of excellence or athletic skill from a particular sporting event. Portfolio: A portfolio of at least three but no more than five sports photos. These photos may be from the same sport or same event, or they may be from different events and different sports.
7) Video has three subcategories: Short Feature, Athlete profile and Documentary. Short Feature: A video no longer than 10 minutes in length on any sporting subject with strong storytelling, innovative filming and journalistic relevance. Documentary: A video that tells a compelling and revealing story about any aspect of the sport world, showing qualitative research and editorial input combined with quality filmmaking. Athlete profile: A video that portrays a captivating, in-depth image of an athlete or a prominent and relevant sport figure.
8) Audio category submissions can be either a radio report, podcast, piece of commentary or other audio submission that is not only compelling but also displays some technical innovation and quality research.
9) A jury of 11 relevant members of the sport media industry, plus AIPS president Gianni Merlo as president of the jury, will select the three finalists for each category or subcategory.
10) There’s a total of US$ 104,000 for all the finalists.
11) The winners of each category (or subcategory, where applicable) will be entitled to a money prize of US$ 8,000. Second-placed will earn US$ 3,000. The third-placed will be rewarded with US$ 2,000.
12) The newly created Young Reporter category is open to professionals that are under 30 (born on or after January 1, 1990). It has three subcategories: 1) Photography. 2) Writing. 3) Broadcasting (Audio & Video). Each of the winners of the Young Reporter Categories will receive a career-boost opportunity: a scholarship to cover a major international sports event.
13) Young Reporter categories do not include second and third prize. Out of the two submissions per person, only one can be used for Young Reporter category, but it is still possible to compete in one of the other main categories.
14) There are no restrictions for languages. All languages are accepted in the submissions.
15) The final gala will take place in Budapest, Hungary, on January 2019.
16) Proof of publication is needed when submitting your work. It can be a link or a PDF, MP4 or audio file, depending on the category. In the case of submitting links, they must not be behind paywalls.
17) Submissions will not be accepted by email, social media or any other platform.
18) There is no obligation to be an AIPS member to participate. However, all submissions need to be from one of the 161 countries that are part of the AIPS network. You can check the full list of countries in the AIPS website.
19) In 2019, AIPS Media has promoted the Awards at the FIFA Women’s World Cup, UEFA U21 EURO, African Cup of Nations, European Games in Minsk, FISU Summer Universiade in Naples, Italy, PanAmerican Games, among other top events.
20) All finalists will be announced by AIPS in advance. They will have to be present in final ceremony to claim their prize.
21) For those selected as finalists, transport and accommodation to the final gala in Lausanne will be fully covered by AIPS.
22) All participants need to be at least 18 years old before September 18, 2018.
23) The new category Video Short Feature represents a valuable addition to video-makers. Whether it is a one-minute video created for Instagram, a five-minute interview on YouTube, a 7-minute story available on Vimeo or the average 5-minute piece for TV, they can now compete together, in a universe of their own.
24) Journalists can be employees of a media outlet or work as freelancers.
25) In the case of photographers, they need to show proof of a professional status.
26) Proof of publication is needed when submitting your work. It can be a link or a PDF, MP4 or audio file, depending on the category.
27) The AIPS Sport Media Awards are a celebration of sports media excellence, representing a new, inspiring horizon for sports journalists across the world.
28) The AIPS Sport Media Awards are present on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with dedicated accounts. Please follow @aipsawards for interesting content, reminders and advice.
29) Our hashtag is #SportMediaExcellence. The Awards social media accounts will be celebrating those professionals who continue to produce the best, most creative content worldwide.
30) To understand how the world of journalism is evolving, we have been proposing a series of contents called Deconstructing the Profession, to be shared across all platforms.
31) Media Tribune, Game Changers, Editor Speaking and Media Trends are part of the Deconstructing the Profession package. “Deconstructing the Profession” package. Inspirational stories from around the sport media world, available in our website and social media accounts.
32) By sharing these kind of stories, we look forward to celebrating Sport Media Excellence not just once a year in a fancy gala, but every day.
33) The AIPS is the body that represents international sports media from websites, newspapers, radio and TV across all continents.
34) There are currently more than 9,500 AIPS members worldwide.
35) AIPS is an independent organisation, financed through membership fees and the contributions of international bodies and federations worldwide
36) The creation of the AIPS Sport Media Awards is yet another step in the constant evolution of AIPS, whose first Congress was held in 1924 on the eve of Paris 1924 Olympic Games.
37) AIPS will partner with QSPC, the Qatar Sports Press Committee, for the AIPS Sport Media Awards.
38) QSPC is offering broad support to AIPS as part of a shared drive to invest in culture and sport journalism, and purposefully protect and safeguard the integrity of the profession.
39) In order to submit your work journalists and photographers are required to sign up and create a profile at www.aipsawards.com, which is as easy as signing up for an email account.
40) The AIPS Executive Committee members will screen all submissions and shortlist the best of them, that will qualify for the second phase.
41) The Jury will base its deliberations on nominations put forward by the AIPS Executive Committee and select the three finalists of each category, that will be invited to Lausanne in January 2019.
42) The Jury will meet to determine the winners one day before the ceremony.
43) Entries and information contained within any entry (including supporting documents) must have been obtained legally, must not infringe any copyright or other intellectual property rights, must not be defamatory or breach any privacy law, and must not breach any other law or regulation.
44) You can always contact us if you have any queries regarding submissions, rules and doubts. Please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
45) Have you submitted your work yet? DO IT NOW! Visit www.aipsawards.com